Tutorial: Data-driven organization design
Data-driven organization design is part of the more general People analytics trend.
Basically, it means striving to produce the best possible data and evidence to support organization design decision – to make sure that the organizational model will facilitate rather than hinder effective work processes and to help ensure that the strategy can be implemented.
New methods and tools promise to completely change the way we do organization design, because we now have access to far better data and more sophisticated tools than before.
In this Tutorial, I will show you how you can use Reconfig to address seven different organizational design challenges:
- Create “situational visibility” (i.e., establish a common understanding of how the organization works)
- Move from functional to cross-functional teams
- Improve collaboration between teams in Agile organizations
- Reduce collaboration overload and increase productivity
- Choose between local and corporate-wide optimization of structure
- Choose between a product vs. geographical model
- Simplify a complex organizational structure
The tutorial is in the form of a weekly email with a link to a brief video (3-5 minutes long).
You may also get some homework to do! (Don’t worry, it’s optional.)
To sign up to the tutorial, enter your name and e-mail below. You can cancel your subscription at any point. Your e-mail address will not be shared or used for other purposes than this.
You should receive the first message within a couple of minutes; if you don’t see it, check your spam folder (or in Outlook, the “Other” mailbox), and move the message to your main folder.
Sign up here
About the author
Hi, I am Nicolay Worren. I am currently an associate professor at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences and co-founder of Reconfig. I have written a book about organization design and several articles published in academic journals. Let’s stay in touch – I hope you find my newsletter useful!